Friday, November 07, 2008

11.7 Where are the words?

So, as I lay in corpse pose in yoga this morning my mind turned away from relaxing thoughts to "why isn't Ms. C. talking?" thoughts. So much for relaxation.

I've been worrying about this for quite some time. I know that not having her in daycare would lead to a 'slower' development than some of her peers, but seriously. It's not like we don't talk at our house. And she certainly understands a lot of what we talk about at home. In fact, there isn't a great deal of frustration on that side of the coin.

Her communicating to us is quite the opposite. She still only says 'nana' (banana) and 'num' (when she likes food). In fact, she no longer will say 'down' (which, I swear, was there two weeks ago). We read to her regularly, very regularly. If she doesn't read 20 books a day it is a slow day in our house. Heck, you'd think she'd be saying 'book' by now. She doesn't even say 'bye bye' (yes, she waves) when I leave the house and I say that to her 5 days a week! We sing (well, maybe only I sing but her dad says the words), I try to tell her what I am doing. I just don't get it.

I'm beginning to wonder if her dad speaks to her at all during the day....

Some parents tell me to count my blessings, that once she starts she won't stop. But it is so hard to console her when she is trying to tell me something and I don't understand her. What's a mom supposed to do?

3 comments:

Cellomama said...

It's so hard. Of course it's always good to chat with the pediatrician - sometimes there are things they can help address.

But I will tell you that I have many, many friends whose kids were just late talkers. Kate talked up a storm and they would just scream. Now, at 3, there is ZERO difference between them. Seriously. It took them a bit longer to get started but they caught up fast and you'd never know the difference.

Some of those slow talkers were early potty trainers. I had an early talker and a still-unwilling potty trainer. Kids just get things at different times. She'll get there!

Kate said...

She is biding her time, Holly. She'll get there when she gets there. My mom says that I didn't talk much, but once I did - it was full sentences full on all the time. She's soaking it up.

Meigan said...

Um, Kate, I don't believe you were ever a non-talker, lol!

I agree Holly - don't sweat it. She'll start when she's ready. Enjoy the charades while they last!