Friday, March 30, 2007

Worried mama on a dreary day

The rain is a pain on my window pane.

Ahh...so poetic, eh? I didn't get much sleep last night. My asthma kicked in at some ungodly hour again and so I sat and listed the the rain coming down. It's still coming down. While it is dreary and colder outside, we did a quick walk around the house last night to see what is growing (and what is being dug up by the *^$!&* squirrels). My tulips, iris', daffs, hyacinth, daisies, pansies and several other perennials are making their way to the surface, bright green to dark green poking through the mulch I threw on them last fall. We already have one flower! The purple vinca (one of the hardiest plants on the planet, I swear) has one welcoming flower already.

I had to take Tabitha back to the vet today. We went in last Friday since she hasn't been eating her allotted 1/2 cup of food a day for a couple of weeks. I was especially worried since I had given her a treat of wet food not too long ago and am not sure if it was of the tainted manufacturer. She eats dry food 99.9999% of the time so I couldn't begin to tell you what I bought. While she was being poked and prodded by the vet, she reacted to her kidney region. Damn. I was hoping this might just be her adjusting to the new smells from the crib and changing table in the baby's room. They did blood work and called me on Monday. Nothing abnormal but they wanted her to come in for an x-ray and to try again to extract urine (she was not very forthcoming last week). And they suggested I call the cat food manufacturer to see if they had changed the formula on her food. Did that earlier this week, nothing new there and the food doesn't expire until June 2008. Another dead end.

So I dropped her off at 8am this morning and am impatiently waiting for the phone call to go and pick her up. How long does it take? Is something wrong, did they hurt her while doing the x-ray?? I fear that my baby girl (Tabitha) is too afraid and won't be able to produce any urine. I really can't handle this...I'm a basket case when it is Tabitha - who I must say, has been like my baby for the last 7.5 years. It was so hard to walk out of there this morning and not be with her while she went through this.

What am I going to do if this ever happens to baby girl Whitcomb? If I react like this when it is my pet how nutty will I be if it is my kid?

4 comments:

carrster said...

they're probably just pokey. When we had urine extracted from our cats, they use a needle (!) if it gets to that point. it's probably taking so long because FIRST they put them in an area w/these urine bead thingys and wait for them to go....I think it took ours almost 8 hours. Ah yes, I know a lot (unfortunately) about cat pee.

Test said...

Yes, last week they were trying to extract it with the needle. I hadn't heard of the urine bead thingys. Hmm...maybe they are trying that instead since I did leave her there and they aren't concerned about making me wait in the clinic. Thanks for the reassurance!

Peder said...

Good luck. Sick pets are worry-makers.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your little sweetie is sick. I hope all is okay.