Thursday, March 08, 2007

College drinking and pregnancy

I never would have guessed it. My college drinking days just helped me deal with a pregnancy issue. I ate a late lunch today due to meetings and as a result found myself scarfing down my strawberries/vanilla yogurt combo. As I ran out the door to run some quick errands as my lunch hour I started to feel a bit odd. I wasn't sure what was happening to me. Suddenly I realized it was the dreaded heartburn. I should count my blessings that I have made it 18.5 weeks into my pregnancy with no heartburn, eh? Around week 14 I picked up some Tums at Target which have been languishing in the bathroom cupboard. (Note to self: pack them in my purse tomorrow.) I didn't really have time to run home and pick up the Tums and started to wonder how I would make it through the rest of the work day with this discomfort. Then it dawned on me!! The last time I had heartburn was college. We were at the bar, doing shots of buttery nipples (a combo of Butterscotch Schnapps & Baileys Irish Cream). Since we didn't have any Tums on hand at the bar (go figure) someone had the bright idea of chewing gum, specifically minty gum (spearmint, peppermint, wintergreen, etc). That seemed to help relieve the sensation to some degree. So, I grabbed the mints out of my purse and popped a couple in my mouth. By the time I pulled back into the parking lot at work the worst of the discomfort had passed.

Who would have thought those college experiences would come in handy at this point in my life. These are things I should remember when my kid calls me from the bar some day, right? That he/she might be learning a valuable lesson in life. Yeah right....

No comments: