Monday, February 12, 2007

The Weekend


My hubby was gone this weekend, he was off on his snowmobile somewhere in eastern WI, western MI. So Tabitha and I had a girls weekend. Whenever he leaves for a long weekend, Tabby and I spend serious quality time together - and she gets to sleep in our bed (she is otherwise banned from the bedroom, bathroom, baby's room, kitchen, because of his issue with cat hair - like he doesn't shed...). Anyway, not so when it is just her and me.

We spent the time watching TV, reading on the couch and taking naps. All around very nice and relaxing.

Attended a benefit on Saturday night for an old co-worker's husband who was recently diagnosed with ALS. Earlier I had met with another old co-worker/friend at the gallery where her wedding will be held (I am shooting the wedding) and she asked if I wanted to go. Having never been to a benefit I thought, why the heck not. They are holding a benefit because for many years he was a private business owner but he sold the business in 2005 because it wasn't profitable and started to look for work in corporate America. He wasn't having the best of luck and several months later we learned he has ALS. The company she works for is small (20 people) so the benefits are OK, not great. Needless to say, things are very tight and they are having trouble covering medical expenses for his treatment.

We didn't do the dinner ($150/plate) but donated some money for the raffle and toured the silent auction. Over 250 people (!) RSVP'd yes for dinner - and all the food was donated so the money is going straight to the family. As with all the money generated from the silent auction. They had some pretty amazing stuff in the auction so I am sure it generated some bidding wars. I had my camera on hand from earlier so I snapped a few shots and am sending them to my old co-worker (along with a donation to the family). I sure hope it all turned out well for them.

It was overwhelming to see the number of people who came out to support this great couple. It makes me teary just thinking about it all. We left when everyone sat down to dinner and I have to admit, part of me was relieved. I don't know how well I would have handled the speeches and the emotion that I knew would come later on. I wear my heart on my sleeve without having pregnancy hormones coursing through my system - I can only imagine how much of a weeper I would have been had we stayed much longer. I know it is hard for my friend and it just makes my heart hurt to think about what lies ahead for her, her husband and three kids. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

No comments: