Monday, February 12, 2007

Am I getting old?

I used to watch the Grammys. I used to know who most of the bands/people were when they got on stage. I have noticed over the last several years that I have no desire to watch this award show. One would think with my past obsession with music and my dream of owning my own music club I would be a bit more interested. But I'm not. We flipped over to the show once or twice - I was about to flip the channel back to Discovery Channel when I saw the Dixie Chicks get up to receive the award for Not Ready to Make Nice. I mentioned to Pete that Greg Louris had written a song for them on this album and thought maybe it was him walking up with the girls. While it wasn't Greg, it was another wonderful Minneapolis man - Dan Wilson. I was so happy to see him up there - my Minneapolis pride was bursting! And of course, I had to explain to my music-illiterate husband the previous Dan Wilson outings and the shows I went to at First-Ave.

So, I'm not sure if this is a sign that I am getting old or if it has more to do with the fact that the Grammy Awards don't really focus on my type of music. You don't see a lot of small venue, bar bands make it to the Grammys. And when they do, people tend to assume they have sold out (think Soul Asylum). And I'm OK with that.

2 comments:

carrster said...

I was browsing the pics from the Red Carpet yesterday (I didn't watch the Grammy's at all) and I kept thinking "who the heck ARE these people?" My lack of current music-makers knowledge is appaling. Of course the music I am most interested in probably will never win Grammys so oh well. (it did make me feel rather...old though...)

Anonymous said...

I actually watched the Grammy's. I don't know why. Kind of a waste of time. It was almost worth it to see the Dixie Chicks kick butt. Mostly the Grammy's are for the big industry folks, so the indie stuff we all like gets pretty much ignored. I found it amusing that the young rapper who performed had his hand on his package throughout the whole song. What's up with that? I thought that fad was over by now. Ugh.