Monday, February 05, 2007

Growing out of my pants

Last weekend I went out to see if there were any maternity pants/jeans out there I could begin to wear now through the end of the pregnancy. I don't want to spend a lot of money on clothing that I will wear for a mere 9 months. Heck, I still have pants that I bought 4 years ago that I wear (yes, I know, someday you WILL see me on TLC's What Not to Wear).

My sister gave me all of her maternity clothing which has been a big help. This way I don't have to go out and buy a lot of casual work clothing. She had her babies in the summer as well so her clothing choices align perfectly with our due date. However, she is a half a foot taller so I need to shorten everything. Even the one pair I bought are too long (the story of my life). Mom came up on Saturday to help me shorten my pants. I am not much of a seamstress. The stretchy material kept bunching up on me and I quickly became frustrated. Thank goodness I have a mother with the patience of a saint. I think I should be good as long as I find a couple of skirts for the warmer summer months.

One tip I have for any mom who can swing it ~ borrow as many items as you can from friends, family or go to the Goodwill if you don't have any issues with wearing pre-worn clothing. I went to a hip store that I would love to afford but am unwilling to pay $105 for a pair of jeans. I am obviously not their target customer as I refuse to pay that much for a pair of jeans that I will wear for years, much less 9 months. No way. I have to pay for new carpet, paint, diapers, college degrees, who knows how much other stuff in the next 18 years. I'll save my money and go buy a pair of $14.99 jeans on sale at Old Navy thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you on not wanting to spend a ton of money or even a bit of money on maternity clothes. I was able to score two pairs of pants this weekend at Old Navy, each for $6! Not bad!