Monday, February 05, 2007

Big Game

We ordered a pizza (sausage and green olive) from our favorite neighborhood pizzaria and settled in to watch the game. I made it through most of the game last night, below are some thoughts:

  • I was surprised that on the first play of the game Indy couldn't cover Devin Hester. One would think that the kickoff coverage team would have worked on nothing else for the past two weeks than to cover that man. I thought the game was going to swing in Chicago's favor at that point since I wasn't sure how Indy would handle the rain.
  • The number of turnovers in the first half felt very reminiscent of the Saints game against the Bears (which the Bears dominated in the end).
  • Brian Urlacher is the heart of the Bears defense. I swear I could feel his energy through the television set.
  • Where in the world was Rex Grossman? In the third quarter it felt like he hadn't even been on the field. Most of this game from the wise decision not to throw the ball down field very often due to the weather but it felt like he was a non-issue in the game. Which proved to be accurate in the end.
  • I wouldn't call myself a Prince fan per se, but I do like him. I thought he did a great halftime show, one of the few I have actually stayed to watch. Pete mentioned at one point that it looked like he was actually having fun and enjoying himself. Always the showman, he didn't let the rain get him down.
  • The commercials were OK but nothing stellar. Does one department of CBS have to pay another department of CBS for all the advertising they did during the Superbowl? Are they the filler when spots are left open because not everyone wants to pay $2.6MM to have a 30 second spot? My personal favorite was the animated Coke commercial. I know it isn't on any 'best ad' list but I liked the message of the commercial and I liked the animation.

I crashed not long after the Colts intercepted Grossman in the fourth resulting in the 82-yard touchdown. Pete woke me up with a few seconds left in the game so I could see the celebration begin. I was glad to see Tony Dungy win ~ I believe he deserved to win based on his character and he is a bright spot in the NFL. I wish there were more coaches like Tony & Lovie, the type who seem to show their players that respect gets you farther than idiocy. However, Lovie did let Tank Johnson back on the field...

No comments: