Tuesday, January 09, 2007

What happened to Big 10 football?

I didn't even go downstairs to watch the game last night. On my way home from yoga I heard Florida score and had a bad feeling about the game (plus after four games this past weekend I am a bit fatigued). Flipped on the mac when I got home and couldn't believe my eyes. Just before the half and the score was 34-14. Something isn't right, I thought. Who is injured? What in the world is happening? Opened up YahooSports this morning and the headline reads: "Buckeyes fail to bring the passion". I ask, did THE Ohio State players even show up on the field? They were held to 82 yards and Smith was 4-14. What the...???

As a Gopher football season ticket holder I am accustomed to losses, but I never expected to see Ohio State fall this badly. Coupled with Michigan's loss to USC and the fact that out of the 6 teams from the Big Ten to head to bowl games only Wisconsin won. Crazy. Is our division really what it used to be? I think not. We have four programs in the division with fairly reputable records in the last 15 years (OSU, Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin). After that it's a toss up from year to year.

I knew that our division was a bit cushy this year but I would have thought the BSC masters would have determined the same things and given Ohio and Michigan the credit, only if they thought they could beat the USC's and Florida's of the world. Hmm... that idea of divisional playoffs does sound appealing.

On a selfish note, does this have any impact on recruiting for MN? Can we get a head coach who wants to not only come to a school with a poor record and slow moving program but also a division that captures only one bowl game? I was hoping that some of the appeal of coaching at MN would be the chance to go up against the Michigan and OSU's of the world, but I fear that carrot has gone by the wayside.

Oh well, as my boss, the Notre Dame fan says: There is always next year. Or the year after.

No comments: