Thursday, January 11, 2007

At one with the Universe

I started my new yoga class last night. I switched to a different studio because of the type of a specific type of yoga I wanted to partake in for a while. Previously I have taken a class through a local community college which is taught by a woman who also does cranio-sacral therapy. It's Iyengar which I really dig because it really makes you listen to your body and focus on the balance of your breath with your pose. I also liked this class as our instructor holds a relaxation session for 10-15 minutes at the end of each session and works with us to move into a meditative state.

The class I am taking now is Hatha based and taught by a woman who I learned is a breast cancer survivor. She, like most yoga instructors I know, seems to be so balanced emotionally and even physically (they flow when they move).

It was great energy last night. The room was super cold when we came in last night so we started doing some chi-kong to bring us into center with the universe and help warm ourselves up. It was really cool, we did a move where we were standing with feet hip width apart and moving our arms back and forth from the shoulder sockets with fingers splayed, palms facing the chest. We brought our hands close together but did not touch fingers and then moved them apart, back and forth 9 times. And you could fell the energy between your hands as they moved back and forth - amazing to me what we can sense if we let our minds go from the other crap that follows us around during the day and just let it check in with our bodies.

I need to find a way to do this everyday. Whenever I leave class I always feel more refreshed and peaceful. Something I need more and more of as life gets more complicated.

No comments: