Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wait on the weight

I am dreading gaining weight with the pregnancy. I have always paid attention to (read have been obsessed) by my weight. Up until the last five years I have had a pretty easy time keeping weight off. The combination of my metabolism slowing down and my lack of exercise (which I know impacts my metabolism) has caused me some angst the last couple of years.

I stepped on the scale last week and it showed that I have already gained five pounds. Shit. That is what I was trying to lose before getting pregnant. How large am I going to get? I did a survey online entering my height and it calculated that I should only gain about 15 lbs. Double shit. I am 1/3 of the way to that mark and I'm still in the first trimester. how the hell large am I going to get?

I am hesitating on buying new clothing because I want to have the motivation to lose weight after having the baby. I'm at the in-between stage where maternity clothing doesn't fit yet but I can't fit into my non-preggers clothing. Instead I can just buy pants/skirts that are 1-2 sizes larger than normal. Yeah...that's motivating. I went to Hot Mama on Grand last week and picked up a Bella Band which I hope will help me hold on for a few more weeks. Last night I got back onto the elliptical and did a quick workout. And - I didn't have any ice cream. Maybe if I just don't act like a glutton I will gain only the weight needed.

When I look at myself I don't feel like I look big. It isn't until I put on my pants or step onto the scale. I know that I will have to gain weight to have a healthy baby but I am dreadfully afraid of not being able to lose it. I will be going back to work after my leave expires so there isn't the option of staying at home and carrying the baby to-and-fro to help with the weight loss. I know many working mom's have lost their baby weight but were they 34 when they had their child? I'm seriously thinking about asking for a membership to a weight loss program for my birthday next year as a way to get me motivated.

Urgh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly! Throw out the scale! You cannot be worried about your weight! You're always going to be beautiful no matter how much you weigh. Everyone gains weight as they get older! No more obsessing. Anyway, as soon as you start breastfeeding the extra pounds will melt away. You are going to breastfeed, aren't you?

Test said...

I know, I know...

Yes I am planning on breastfeeding since that is so good for the babe. It will be interesting working but hopefully it will all work out well.

Cellomama said...

HOORAY!!! Holly, Carrie just shared your news. I'm so thrilled for you!

Breastfeeding really does make the weight melt. I had lost all my "baby" weight in less than 4 months - and I put on about 60 lbs. Now I'm just working on losing the "infertility" weight. 17 lbs. down, 17 to go.

Congrats again to you and Pete!

Cellomama said...

PS: In case you didn't figure it out, "Cellogirl" is Laurie M. :-)

carrster said...

Finally I am able to log into the comments section. Whew.

I was going to bring up the breastfeeding thing too and how that'll help the weight disappear. But most importantly is that you are HEALTHY so your baby is HEALTHY. That means putting on a few pounds. Big deal! You're super active and determined so I'm sure any extra baby weight won't hang around for long. :)