Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Manual labor

Ay yi yi. I am sore today from my weekend warrior attempts this past weekend. In between birthday parties for family members I was able to turn over the veggie garden and get some plants in the ground. Here's a before picture of the veggie garden. I'll post an after when I get the rest of the plants in the ground. 

I'm trying the trick of planting marigolds around the veggie garden to help keep the deer and rabbits out. Pete thought he heard that they will make the veggies taste weird. Anyone had this issue before? 

My MIL gave me some hens and chicks and I planted those in some bare, dry spots. I hear they don't need a lot of care and I fear with the peanut around this year I will not be spending a whole lot of time tending to the gardens. The weeds will go wild this year. I'm also trying some new stuff this year, cosmos in the sunny spots and snapdragons in the smallest of small pots. I tend to get into ruts and plant the same stuff every year. This year I put more in the ground and used less of the pots. Maybe it was the weird spring weather ~ I just felt like doing something different.

1 comment:

Kate said...

You're so ambitious! I just put my bulbs that have been in the fridge all winter into a pot in the kitchen window. I didn't have the gumption to dig up the garden last weekend. Maybe next weekend, which will turn into next weekend, and the next. Hrmph. I may not get flowers this year.