Thursday, December 04, 2008

Split Personality

I learned yesterday that I will be split in two. 33% of my time next year will be devoted to my boss' boss. 66% of my time will still be focused on my current role in my department. I will have two desks in two different buildings (even though it takes me a whopping 5 minutes to get from my desk to the other building), two phones, one laptop (thank god) and, for all intensive purposes, two bosses.

I've dual reported in my past life, but more on paper than with real salary allocation behind it and never with two desks. The two desks is a bit odd. According to my current boss, the reason for this is so I have more face time on the 10th floor. We were absorbed into this group in January of this year and it is still uncommon for us to be associated with OGC. None of us are attorney's (although I will argue my hard earned MBA counts for something damn it) and we sit in a whole different building. We're the red-headed step child of legal.

This could prove to be quite interesting. I fear I will find myself having to act like an attorney and document my time so neither of my bosses feels he is being slighted.

I'd bitch more but at least I still have a job, a fellow team mate was laid off on Monday. Scary shit.

2 comments:

carrster said...

And on top of all that - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You're 29, right?


(haha - my verification word is "noper." - guess that answered my fantasy question! haha)

Kate said...

This is one of those things that I think I've learned to "play by ear." Documenting time just TAKES time! Time you could be doing something productive. And I've had two desks before, too. Blech. Oh well. Run with it, girlie!