Saturday, December 16, 2006

Pews

Pete & I headed to our church this morning to help with some cleaning. An attempt to keep costs in line. After about 3.5 hours and who knows how many pews later we left the church in a mad dash to reach the post office smelling like Murphy Oil Soap. I never realized how dirty our pews were until this morning. Our church is over 125 years old and our parish is about 1200 people. When you think about all the traffic that has gone through that place... I doubt I will look at pews the same again.

Only one more gift to purchase for the Christmas season. Still no snow on the ground. Just over a week way from Christmas and not a touch of white, unless you count the 'ski' hills. I read about Honda's new hydrogen car this morning (coming in 2008) and started to seriously think about buying one when my beloved Corolla finally kicks the bucket. The Honda isn't priced yet though so I fear it would be some serious sticker shock. But the idea of not emitting anything but water is tempting. I am shocked at how easily people I work with toss recycleable items in the trash, mostly soda cans and bottles. I understand some people think I am odd for picking through the trash but seriously, how hard is it to walk 25 yards to the recycling bin??? Yeesh. No one is that busy at his/her desk to get up and take care of it, think of it as an excuse to get away from your desk for a couple of minutes. I would like to leave this world in good condition for my children and extended family. I am saddened when I see trash piles heaped and little in the recycling bins. I know I have ranted about this topic before so I'll step off my soap box and give it a rest.

3 comments:

carrster said...

amen sister!

People do the same thing at my work. We only have aluminum recycling though so I end up taking my yogurt & pudding containers home with me. I just can't stand the thought of throwing them away! We recycle EVERYTHING at home (including food scraps - yum, compost pile...ick) so we barely have any garbage. It's great!

The hydrogen car sounds phenomenal...I'm definitelly looking into that and/or hybrids when my Focus is done....but that won't be for a while. At least I'm getting good gas mileage. Serioulsy - what is up with people and SUVs (sorry Pete...but come on! :))

And I can only IMAGINE how dirty pews get over the years - GAH! Okay - I don't want to imagine....I'm going to be all paranoid now tomorrow at church - ha ha!

carrster said...

do you think my comments are LONG enough? Sheesh.

Peder said...

I'll be curious to see what the sticker price is for those things too. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll come down in a few years. What I don't understand is why we don't seem to have the small cars with 50+ MPG anymore. Where are the new Fiestas? There's certainly enough market for them.