Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The nature of the beast

OK. I have always been a strong supporter of animals. I am a pet owner as are most of the members of my family and my friends. We all care a great deal for the animals we bring into our homes. In the past, when I have read about animals attacking people I have often wondered if someone or something spooked them, surely these normally docile beings are good animals and it was just a freak happening. People generalize and say that a certain breed of canine shouldn't be allowed around children. I've often felt that was too broad based. Not anymore.

My friend was recently attacked by a pit bull (story here). She was at this gathering with her 3 year old daughter. Luckily, her daughter didn't see her attacked but did see her afterwards bleeding. My friend is very shaken up and skittish. Apparently, the owners of the dog do not want it to be punished. I ask you... what would they be saying if the dog had gone after one of the children at this gathering rather than an adult?

2 comments:

carrster said...

AGH! That is terrible. I too love animals & pets but I do believe there are certain breeds that just aren't....well, meant to be pets! I've seen pit bulls attack other dogs & other animals before and it is just vicious (and my friend had to jump in the middle - how freaking scary). I know that *most* animals in loving homes would "never" hurt anyone - but what happens when/if they do? That is just terrifying to me.

Luckily Beavis is not of the attacking variety. I'm not sure he would know what to do if he went after something larger than a cricket.

(Who got attacked btw? I can only think of one person....)

kmd said...

I can't figure out who it is. Send me an e-mail!

The neighborhood we live in now is infamous for its pit bull population. I've heard that many have been used for sport – fighting one another – so cruel. And so stupid. I just don't get it.