Saturday, October 28, 2006

Manual Labor

We're off to help clean up the church grounds today. To help keep costs down they have asked for volunteers to rake, weed, lay down mulch and who knows what else. Considering how long it has taken me to get my gardens ready for the snow/frozen tundra we could be there for a while.

Jordan is coming with us today and isn't looking forward to this one bit. I was thinking the other day as I raked some leaves that she has lived her life in a townhome (at her mom's) - where someone else takes care of the lawn/snow removal. Until we moved into our house, she never had then chance to do any type work. I swore I would never say this but here I go. When I was her age... I was mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, etc. And for Pete, he bailed hay and worked for his buddy's uncle making 3 bucks an hour hauling cement blocks. Ahhh....character. Should be good experience for her, eh? Are we the bad parents? Probably, but neither Pete or I feel you can learn a whole lot from sitting on your tush in front of the TV. Poor kid.

I am actually looking forward to it. I like seeing the 'progress' from cleaning up gardens and preparing for spring/fall. I'm sure that will wear off after a few hours of work and my hands/back and shoulders will be sore tomorrow but it's a good king of sore.

Tomorrow is pumpkin carving day at my in-laws. I'll be sure to take many photos of the kids in various stages of carving :)

No comments: