Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Heavy Lids and Old Age

Boy am I feeling old this morning. The show last night was fantastic. The Hold Steady played to a sold out audience and I can attest to the fact that it made them happy. The lead singer, originally from the Twin Cities, was just stoked to have sold out a venue he began going to 20 years ago. As a Twin Cities music fan I understand. How cool would it be to think of yourself with bands like The Replacements, Husker Du, Soul Asylum, The Jayhawks and Atmosphere, just to name a few. I really am blessed to live in a city with a music scene that continues to generate creative tunes. Ahh... as the girls of That Dog sing... Minnneeaapolis, Minnneeapolis.

Nonetheless, as I move on in years one thing has become increasingly apparent. My bed time is early!! I typically head to bed somewhere between 10pm & 11pm. Last night the show ended at 12:45am. I am a bit tired this morning. Getting home at 1:30am and rising at 6am...(yawn)...my eyes are burning and I didn't even drink! At least I have learned that a hangover at work is no fun. Ok, it took me a while to learn that one :)

It was great to be back at the venue. I started going to shows there in 1991 when I started college. I've seen some great acts (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Fishbone, Primus, Sugar, The Pixies, The Jayhawks), renovations, fights (one last night too), many a drunk patron (many last night) all within the dark black walls with black and white tiled floors. What's not to love about First Ave? I'm waxing nostalgic for my days of youth when I would go see shows once, if not twice, a week. Yes, I've slowed down and have different priorities. But last night reminded me of one of the reasons WHY I love living in this city and how much I enjoy punk rock music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please, please tell us more about the show!