Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hey! Retail peeps & manufacturers... people under 5 feet buy stuff too.

This has been rolling around in my head for a couple of days. Ever since I went shopping two weeks ago. It was reinforced on Saturday.

I dread shopping. This has gotten progressively worse as I get bigger and bigger. And not taller people. I'm still under 5 feet. I despise shopping because I am not shaped like a normal woman. This is really my incentive for losing weight. It has nothing to do with feeling better about myself or living a healthy lifestyle. It has to do with taking the pain out of shopping.

Let me list my top 10 reasons I hate shopping.

10. Short legs.

9. Which are not in proportion to my big ass.

8. Or my wide hips.

7. And my muffin top. All that leads to hell when buying pants. Let's not even discuss the jeans. And swimsuits. Sweet Jesus.

6. Girls that seem to change size dependent upon the moon. Seriously.

5. Small shoulders that are not in proportion to the girls.

4. Did I mention the muffin top?

3. No good boutiques nearby for small women that don't make me look like a hoochie-mama.

2. Spending a boat-load of money on clothing.

1. Size 5 shoes.

Apparently, all shoe manufacturers and retailers must think that if you wear a size 5 women's shoe you are a child. So you must prefer to wear shoes covered in Bratz dollz or bright-freaking-pink flowers. When I do find shoes that could pass as an adults, the support in them are crap. I think my physical therapist is going to ban me from stepping into the kids section.


So. My shopping excursion for my friend's wedding in NYC is costing me a pretty penny. My dress is more than I would have liked (but it seems to fit and makes me look normal) and I was able to find a pair of silver shoes after hunting for TWO days. Urgh.

Now I am on a quest to buy some Spanx to help me look even better in said dress (and all others I own). I tried one today that I am wearing to work that is not gonna make the cut. I need a full-body girdle. But where the hell is all that extra crap going to go? This sucks.

I want to go home and crawl into my sweatpants, t-shirt and running shoes.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I hear your plight, my friend. You know I have the opposite problem, but for the first time in my life, when I opened up a package and tried on some new pants for work? THEY WERE TOO LONG!

Your right company is out there. I believe that. J. Jill is mine. And it's expensive, but I will pay for things that fit.

Old Navy is now dead to me. Their talls have a 33 inch inseam. Um. No. Tall people need taller inseams than that.

Sigh.

carrster said...

You are preaching to the choir, my friend! I have ALL the same problems that you have described....It sucks & is terribly depressing. NOT looking forward to this round of postpartum shopping...ugh.

Meigan said...

Dude, I had to read this a few times & the entries before it to see if you were pregnant. You really threw me off with that "bigger and bigger" comment.

I'm sure you'll look fantastic. And god bless the people who invented spanx.