Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Back to the work stuff

Have you ever worked for a place that should provide you tons of resources but because of the red tape and hierarchy it's nearly impossible to get anything done?

That is where I live. Add to that I am the only person fulfilling my role for what should be two jobs serving 70000+ employees worldwide. Job security right....

OK, so here's the deal. We're launching some pretty cool stuff, finally catching up with the technologies that are out there, such as internal social media channels, blogging inside the firewall and now our own personal youtube inside the company. As a trainer I should be super-duper psyched. But I'm not. Because, I will be asked to create these wonderful things without any support.

Oh, and the use of my own personal video camera.

Which I do not own. (At least not one that doesn't physically involve an actual TAPE, people.)

(How can I not own one when I am the mother of a toddler, you ask? Because I am married to my husband, that's why. He is the antithesis of an early adopter of any sort of technology. He's more like a non-adopter.)

So instead of my company laying out a few hundred bucks for something that will pay for itself in the end, I am researching options for my own personal use. I might as well bite the bullet and buy one for home, which will be used for Little Ms. C's upcoming life events but which can also be used for work.

Suggestions from my small band of loyal readers will be most appreciated. Special hint hint to my friend in the FILM INDUSTRY. Tee hee.

1 comment:

carrster said...

ha! I love my Sony AVCHD - it's tiny & I can throw it in my purse and it's HD quality. yay. We bought ours last March for about $700 but I'm sure the price has come down - I think now you can get a model that sports a little light on it as well. Some good features - you can do a bunch of manual settings, take photos WHILE videotaping (which can come in handy at times) & it downloads SUPER easily (at least to my Mac, haven't tried to do it to a PC)....It's a Handycam, 4 mega pixels for the still images. You can put a wide-angle adapter on the lens (as I think you can with most...) if you desire.

The only thing I don't like is there is no viewfinder only the LCD so if you're out in bright light it's very hard to see what you're getting. That always bugs me about these new cameras. I like to have the option. Oh! it has built in memory & space for a memory stick. We bought an extra 8gb memory stick when we bought the camera so we wouldn't have to worry about it later!

Good luck!