Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Crafty projects

Until daylight savings kicks in I have a couple of hours between when Ms. Claire goes down and my bed time. Instead of sitting like a lump in front of the TV I decided to start another craft project.

And of course, instead of taking things slow I want to jump in head first and create a semi-complicated (read complicated for me) bear for someone who will be having a baby later this year. I also want to crochet a new scarf for next year and perhaps a baby blanket for someone else who is having a baby later this year.

I went to Joanne Fabrics yesterday over lunch to check out yarn for the bear project. I left without buying anything. I was very frustrated. I could not for the life of me find the weights they have listed for the pattern in the book I am using. Urgh. I must be an idiot but all I could find was #4. Being a novice (and being on my lunch hour) I didn't waste time asking one of the ladies working where I could find what I wanted. I think I will try again when I have a bit more time and patience.

So, last night I decided for the heckuvit I would just try to make the bear using their instructions but using the yarn I already have and maybe it will work out OK. I think it will. It just won't look exactly like the bear in the book. Since the baby who will get this gift won't know the difference will it really matter? I can tackle the 'advanced' version when I can find the right damn yarn.

I asked Pete if I could start hosting some Stitch-N-Bitch sessions at the house. I love the idea of people getting together to chit-chat and work on projects at the same time. This might actually help me finish a project on time too! But, other than my sister and perhaps Michelle I don't know anyone on the east side who would be interested. Anyone know any knitters and/or crocheters who would want to participate?

5 comments:

michelle said...

I would love to do that! We could host some sessions at my place too :)

Oh - I crochet bears to. I got my pattern from Lion's Brand.com and it turned out really cute!

Let me know when you want to get together :)

carrster said...

I wanna come!!

Sarita said...

I'd do it, I don't know how to knit or crochet, but I've got a rug hooking project that's been on the shelf for years.

Meigan said...

My hobbies these days are running, biking, swimming, and cooking. Maybe I could just make some food while you guys stitch?! :-)

kmd said...

I wanna come, too! Waa!