Monday, September 22, 2008

Drawing blood

I had my yearly appointment this afternoon. Don't worry, no details will be provided, other than the fact that I verified I can donate blood. After receiving a transfusion after delivery last year, Claire's receipt of a donor's blood while in the NICU and knowing that I carry universal blood (O-) I have been considering donating. My dad has delivered pint upon pint upon pint over the years and my hubby goes in every 62 days as well (he's also O-). For some reason I thought one needed to be 120 lbs to qualify and considered lying like my friend Kim did in high school, but nearly (or was it actually, Kim?) fainting didn't sound like the best of ideas. But, surprise, I qualify. You only have to be 110 lbs if you are over 17. I fall somewhere in between 110 & 120 - I have to keep you guessing. So I booked myself an appointment online this evening for Oct 2nd.

Afraid of needles and vials, you ask? Heck no. While in the hospital my blood was drawn every 6 hours and I have those great veins that typically pop out without a great deal of work on my part. To be honest, I am somewhat excited. I am looking forward to feeling like I am providing something to someone who may find themselves in the position I was last year. Or their child. You see, as a universal donor, my blood may be used for a baby in the NICU or an ER situation when a child is rushed in who has not been typed. And that, my dear friends, feels pretty darn good.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Good for you, Holly! I have been banned for life from giving blood and sometimes feel guilty about it. Well, not really because I could be giving someone the creepy flesh eating bacteria I somehow contracted in college. I admire people who give blood regularly. Very much I do.

Meigan said...

Hooray!

I remember you saying you couldn't a year ago or so when I was deferred indefinitly because I lived in Scotland during the "mad cow years".

So do it for me - a fellow O-neg!

kmd said...

Ha, ha, ha. I can't believe you remember that, Holly! I was 105 then. I can give blood now. You have inspired me. It has been too long since my last donation. Thanks!