Tuesday, April 15, 2008

One more worry

I was at lunch with a friend today discussing how to parent in a world where every day an article comes out talking about hazards that have long term impacts on your children. Here's the good news I read today.

BPA's. The debate rages on whether this chemical (which I'm sure my company has helped manufacture) can cause development issues. On top of all of this I am trying to convince Ms. C's dad that we should buy organic whole milk when she moves off formula since it shouldn't be laden with damn growth hormones fed to the cow. Needless to say, I went on a hunt last month to buy Ms. C BPA free sippy cups and pacifiers. I didn't make the switch on her bottles but am having second thoughts.

Then I find out that I put her at risk b/c of having HELLPS while reading this article. Great.

3 comments:

Cellomama said...

I know, I know. Sometimes you just can't let yourself read all that stuff. I censor myself pretty regularly. The BPA stuff, though, is good to know. I'm tossing all my Avent bottles and going BPA-free for baby #2.

FYI on the milk - you can get non-"organic" milk that is still from non-BGH-treated cows. All of Costco's milk is BGH-free and Kemp's Select is, as well. It's more expensive than the store brands, often, but still quite a bit cheaper than organic. That's how I chose to compromise on it.

carrster said...

We buy all the BGH free milk (Kemps or Land o Lakes) and we switched to all glass bottles. Of course I drank out of a nalgene for YEARS so who knows what kind of stuff got passed on/through.

Sometimes though I think we have too much information and worry too much. It's good to be on top of things but sometimes you just have to draw the line.

Kate said...

There's so much to worry about nowadays! I've been drinking non-BGH milk for years. I don't have kids, so I just don't worry about it so much. I just assume that I can poison myself and it won't matter, but kids - they deserve a chance!