Friday, February 08, 2008

Reality Check

My step came home from school this week with some pretty tough news. One of her good friend's has been in and out of school as of late. Recent tests came back and confirmed that she has lung cancer. She is 14 years old.

The first thoughts that ran through my head were, "not fair", "shouldn't happen to this kid", "will her mother FINALLY quit smoking now?*".

This poor girl can't go live with her father and she and her mother live in a small duplex. Mom smokes inside all the time and her daughter is exposed to a heavy dose of second hand smoke. According to my step the mother has said she won't quit smoking. We're not sure if that really was the response or if it was more along the lines of "it will be tough to quit smoking". We weren't there so we don't know. Nevertheless, I can't imagine what these two are going through.

14.

Pete and I immediately start to think about how we can help this young lady. We're not in a position to take her in, nor would be want to face that battle with her mother, but we are trying to understand what is happening on the medical front. So we ask, what is her coverage situation? Is there a possible need for a benefit in the future? How far has the cancer progressed? How is she doing emotionally? FYI -getting your information from another 14 year old is not the best route. She hasn't a clue, which is not a bad thing. She shouldn't have to be dealing with this either.

14. I can't imagine it. All I want to do is go hug her and tell her we're here. And to suck that damn cancer out of her.






*Full disclosure - I am an ex-smoker who quit for the second/third time a mere 2 years ago.

3 comments:

michelle said...

wow - that is so tragic! let me know if you ever need help with anything!

and whether or not her mother said 'i won't' or 'it will be hard' - hearing that your daughter has lung cancer should be an automatic off switch! i just couldn't believe that...
(not only will be it be healthy but she'll save some much needed cash)

Meigan said...

Oh good lord!!! Fourteen????

It makes me just sick & sad to think about it. Dh has been trying to quit for years. He never, ever, ever smokes near the kids - in the house, car, whatever. But still. This is just frightening!!!

You guys are so sweet to want to help. I know that feeling of "I wish there was something I could DO!"

carrster said...

oh my god - that is just terrible. What is wrong with people? Yeah, it's hard to quit but so is watching your child be sick! :( I hope that something works out for this young one.

Stories like this make it easier for me to never want to smoke again.