Monday, November 19, 2007

Seriously. A tree already?

I was floored on Saturday while driving back from a photo shoot in Eden Prairie. Lights had been strung, fences placed and signage painted. The Boy Scout tree lot was open!!!!

You gotta be kidding me, right? Doesn't it seem a wee bit early? We haven't given thanks yet. There is no snow on the ground. It's 40' outside and raining. And riddle me this... just how the heck are you gonna keep that baby from becoming a fire hazard before the big holiday?

I know I don't usually get into the holiday spirit like most people. I blame that on years of working retail. Nothing turns one off like having to deal with throngs of pissed off people the last week before Christmas. Through the years I have tried to keep an open mind. But starting the festivities the day after Halloween is just downright wrong. I have already grown weary of the jewelry commercials, which in reality, last until after Valentine's Day. Their kinda like political ads. Enough already!

We boycott decorating early at our house. This is due in part to my having a December birthday. As a kid my parents were very kind to hold off on lumping my birthday in with Christmas. In fact, we still celebrate it as a stand-alone event (me, me, it's all about me!). So, we hold off putting up the decorations until after my bday. We still get 3-3.5 weeks of holiday fun. By that time I'm ready to have my house put back together anyway.

Pooh. Am I a scrooge or what.

4 comments:

Cellomama said...

Umm.... maybe they're for the folks who take two week cruises over Christmas, so they set up their trees now and celebrate here, and then take them all down on December 19th to head off to the Riviera...

...just a thought...

Although my sister always puts up her tree the weekend after Thanksgiving, so perhaps that lot is just trying to get a jump on it...

I always have a tree by my birthday, yet somehow never felt like my birthday was about anything but me. :-)

Meigan said...

Holly,

My husband plays Christmas music all year long. One August he downloaded every single version of "Jingle Bells" he could find - and played them ad nauseum for about a week.

We'll have our tree up by Scooter's birthday (12/11) but not much before. We chop our own & I can't do it unless there's snow on the ground.

carrster said...

Steve likes to decorate LATE but this year I'm doing it early. But that still means after Thanksgiving...probably first week of Dec or something like that. I don't mind a little early as I'm always one who LOVES the anticipation as much if not more than the event! However, I'm usually ready to MOVE ON already, afterwards. This year though...I might be too busy.....we might have a tree up til Easter!
(we're going fake this year as I cannot deal with needles everywhere.....)

michelle said...

you're not a scrooge.

i myself am a HUGE Christmas Nerd but attempt to ignore these early signs and wait to start my fesitivies. So far it's worked although it is getting harder....

i'll be decorating in 2 weeks just because we're moving into our new place and i might as well unpack all the decorations along wtih everything else :)